On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Jayson Adams wrote:

> He couldn't possibly be asking because he wants to create a Finder/desktop
> replacement app (like the Finder works so well we don't need one of those).

Before replacing the Finder with a "superior" implementation one might want to
be aware of what the design goals, expected behavior, user expectations, and
existing capabilities of the "inferior" existing Finder actually are.

The OP apparently isn't even aware of the Finder's "Secure Empty Trash"
capability:

On Apr 16, 2010, at 2:34 AM, Oleg Krupnov wrote:

> What is "securely" in this context?

He tells us that it's for a disk cleaning utility. But emptying the trash will
delete files on *other mounted volumes* as well, not just the disk being
examined.

One shouldn't violate well established, expected platform behavior with the
possible, unlikely exception of  those who are expertly knowledgeable about
that well established, expected behavior. That doesn't appear to be the case
here.

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro