On 17/04/2010, at 4:41 AM, Quincey Morris wrote:

> We keep shooting ourselves in the foot on this list by not first asking
> enough questions.

Why should we though? If a poster can't muster the effort to sketch an outline
of why they want to do a certain thing, it falls into the category of not
asking a smart question in the first place. I'm happy to answer questions where
I can but playing a game of 20 questions to fill in all the blanks that should
have been there in the original post is something I just don't have time for.

If the original post lacks context, then the context applied by default is a
standard app that has to live with everything else on a system where the user
is in charge. If the question was about writing a Finder replacement (where
certain privileges would be elevated) then it should have said so.

In the default context, I don't believe what I said was a "preachy, know-it-all
rant", and certainly wasn't intended that way. You don't have to read this list
for very long to see just how much baggage people bring from other platforms.
24 years of Mac programming experience (and making similar mistakes as well)
must be worth something, surely?

--Graham