On Jun 30, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM, James Merkel <jmerk...@mac.com> wrote:
Ok, I don't know what an -invalidate method is, but I'll look it up.

It's the thing Wim talked about. An explicit way to release the scarce
resource you're holding on to. Depending on what that resource is, an
appropriate name might be -close, or -invalidate, or -terminate.

--Kyle Sluder

I saw that in Wlm's post. However, I'm not sure where I would do that. I'll have to think about it some more.

By the way my original post referred to the Memory Management Programming Guide and the statement: "You should typically not manage scarce resources such as file descriptors, network connections, and buffers or caches in a dealloc method."

I was pretty sure that "file descriptors" referred to something at a lower level, but wasn't sure. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but Apple could have helped things along by saying: "You should typically not manage scarce resources such as Unix file descriptors, ..."
Everyone doesn't approach this stuff with the same background.
We find from Kernighan and Ritchie (K&R) second edition, section 8.1 that a file descriptor is a small non-negative integer that refers to a file and is maintained by the system. So, my guess is that when Instruments shows an FD of -1 it refers to an FD that isn't mine. But that's just a guess. Instruments doesn't document this as far as I know.

Jim Merkel