Jeffrey Walton wrote:

Wikipedia is hardly the definitive reference. SEO comes to mind.

Luckily, I didn't say Wikipedia was a definitive reference. I said "useful reference". And anyone at all familiar with it knows full well that its accuracy (and usefulness) can vary widely. I, for one, would never use it as a definitive reference for any algorithm, though I may well use its links at the end of an article to begin my search for definitive references.

My main point was more that there is a very easy way to search for unknown terms that one encounters when reading documentation on the web. This is on the same level as pointing out that nearly every reference page on developer.apple.com has Feedback buttons at the bottom of the page, where complaints about unknown terms can easily be filed.

  -- GG