On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Greg Guerin <glgue...@amug.org> wrote:
> James Merkel wrote:
>
>> Everyone doesn't approach this stuff with the same background.
>> We find from Kernighan and Ritchie (K&R) second edition, section 8.1 that
>> a file descriptor is a small non-negative integer that refers to a file and
>> is maintained by the system.
>
> Wikipedia is also a useful reference.
>
> When I select the words "file descriptors" on a web page, contextual-click
> it (right click, secondary click, control click), then choose Search with
> Google from the contextual menu, Wikipedia's page is the top hit.
Wikipedia is hardly the definitive reference. SEO comes to mind.

The following was one of the best I've seen, where Dr. Adler is asked
to explain why his reference implementation differs from Wikipedia:

    This is going out the Mr. Adler, his friends at zlib,
    the related newsgroups comp.compression and
    sci.crypt, and the newsgroups sci.math and
    sci.math.num-analysis... This post relates to
    suspect calculations... The algorithm is described
    in the last parts of RFC 1950 and at its Wikipedia
    page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adler-32). [1]

Jeff

[1] "Need peer review: May have found mistake in Adler-32!",
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.compression/browse_thread/thread/5a37a9fcd32786fd/9859a0c61a3fb333