On Jul 24, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Ed Wynne wrote:

> People who hate horrible MS Windows UIs file bugs against XC4, making XC5
> have a normal Mac UI. Then people who like horrible MS Windows UIs will file
> bug against XC5, causing everything to revert back to its current state for
> XC6. Clearly this must be what happened with XC3, getting us to where we are
> now.
> Except I don't remember any bug filing campaigns to organize people who love
> horrible MS Windows UIs...

It’s not really a cycle. It’s that in the early days of OS X there were a lot
of Mac developers who were used to IDEs like CodeWarrior and THINK C++ that
opened a separate editor window for every file, and they complained about
single-window UIs. So Apple added UI modes to Project Builder and Xcode to
allow them to continue to work this way. Over time this has gotten to seem more
and more like a legacy UI, and they’ve finally dropped it in Xcode 4.

Calling this a “horrible MS Windows UI” is not only flamebait, it also shows
you may not have been paying attention to the direction of Apple’s UI
development over the past decade — many apps like iTunes, Mail, iPhoto,
GarageBand, etc. have become strongly single-window oriented. Not to mention
web browsers, which are now a dominant form of UI.

(Also, I’m hardly an expert on all IDEs, but the non-Mac ones I’ve seen in the
past few years, like Visual Studio and Eclipse, all seem to be pretty
single-window-centric too.)