Since the preferences folder lives in the app, the preferences are deleted when
the app is deleted, or reinstalled.  That's what I've seen.

According to the docs, (and the scratch files in your /library folder if you
use the simulator, everything is in the app and nowhere else.  If reality is
different, I wonder why it conflicts with what the documentation says.

If "every app is an island", then I don't see how what you say an be true.  I
hope you are right, however.

And restricting general access to the file system is a royal PITA.