On Aug 22, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Where life is made difficult is with more general access to the file system,
> which is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. A user stores various media all
> over the file system and there is no reason why an app shouldn't have access
> to it.

Except this is how cyber espionage works.

The "Pretty Girls" calendar application is a Trojan horse that, upon reaching a
certain date (i.e., after it is approved by Apple), starts reading your
Word/Pages document and exfiltrating them off the system.

Or the "Special Draw" application has a vulnerability, a user reads in a
malicious document, and a command & control agent is dropped on your system.

I put together a little demo and video demonstrating this last example (it's
actually a dig at the antivirus/security industry):

        Glowing Embers: The Myth of the Nation State Requirement
        http://www.netsq.com/Podcasts/Data/2012/GlowingEmbers/

Unfortunately, I too have problems with the Mac App Store restrictions,
including no privilege escalation, but I do not have a good solution to
recommend. :-\

Todd