On 4 Nov 2012, at 3:03 AM, John Delacour <j...@bd8.com> wrote:

> I am a rank beginner in Xcode and Objective-C, very slowly getting to grips
> with things using Xcode 4.5.1 in 10.8.  My only significant experience is
> with AppleScript and Perl and, so far as AppleScript is concerned, it looks
> to me as though I’d be wiser to set it aside and work in straight C and ObjC.
>
> Perl is another matter altogether.  While I am getting up to speed with Obj-C
> I would like to be able to include Perl routines within projects, and I can
> find very little on the WWW to be guided by.

So long as you understand that this isn't usually a productive thing to do. It
may be a good idea as a stopgap to fill in parts you don't know how to do with
Cocoa/Objective-C yet, but it's not a direction you'll want to stay on. (There
was a project, CamelBones, that allowed you to do Cocoa programming mostly in
Perl, but I'm sorry to learn its sponsor, Sherm Pendley, died last year, and no
one else is maintaining it.)

> So far I have experimented simply with
>
>  system ("hard-coded/path/to/file")
>
> I have not yet even attempted anything with NSTask and found no way to add
> Perl scripts to the project file tree and refer to them by relative path, so
> you can see I am not very far forward!

Time to learn NSTask, and NSBundle ([[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:
@"myscript" ofType: @"pl"]).

In Xcode, use File > Add Files to "[project]"… (opt-cmd-A) to select your Perl
files and add them to your project. Xcode will automatically copy them into the
target bundle where the NSBundle methods can find them.

> Any hints would be much appreciated.  I shall doubtless have many more
> questions of a more mainstream nature.

        — F

--
Fritz Anderson -- Xcode 4 Unleashed: 4.5 supplement in editing --
<http://x4u.manoverboard.org/>