On 5 Nov 2012, at 2:59 PM, John Delacour wrote:
> [....] hearing all the whoops and applause as the most elementary new things
> were unveiled and it was announced that a dictionary object could now finally
> be built in something approaching the sane way it would be done in ancient
> languages like Perl, I sat with my mouth hanging open in disbelief. What
> planet do these people live on?, I thought.

Perl5 and NeXT/Apple's ObjC are about the same age, actually --- they both came
out in the early 90s (and each had been developing since the '80s, as perl1-4
and as pre-NeXT ObjC respectively). ObjC's original strength was that it was
nearly the smallest extension you could make to C that would let you do
Smalltalk-like dynamic object oriented programming.

I've found that trying to write Cocoa UIs in other languages is usually more
trouble than it's worth, even when I'm more productive in that other language.
It's possible, but there's so much traffic across the Objc/Perl (or whatever)
boundary that you're bound to hit the imperfections in the translation. On the
other hand, I've been writing ObjC GUIs for quite a while, so I'm pretty
comfortable just using ObjC :)

A hybrid application (ObjC GUI, Perl guts) might be a good way to go.