On 07/11/2012, at 10:45 AM, John Delacour <j...@bd8.com> wrote:

> On 06/11/2012 00:47, Jens Alfke wrote:
>
>> One compromise you might consider is using Ruby, which has pretty
>> decent integration with Cocoa. (Ditto for Python, but Ruby is more
>> Perl-esque.) It’s possible to write Cocoa apps entirely in those
>> languages.
>
> Thank you.  The Ruby option does look rather attractive especially since
> I could learn Ruby in quite a short time and at the end of it be as
> happy writing Ruby code as Perl code.  At the same time I think I get
> the message that I’d do best to struggle on with Objective-C and see if
> my aversion lessens.

I'm curious - isn't the fact that none of those languages support true
multithreading a rather big hindrance when programming a Cocoa Application? How
would you put together a responsive application without it?

I used to do perl for a living, and to my knowledge multithreading was never
bug-free and functional. Ruby and python are exactly the same - they all
support forking new processes a-la UNIX style, but no real OS-level threads
(IIRC, both ruby and python, in all their implementations but the java-based
ones include a big mutex.) Has this changed? Or is there a way around it?

Thanks,
-- ank