On 05/11/2012 20:44, Fritz Anderson wrote:

On 4 Nov 2012, at 3:03 AM, John Delacour <j...@bd8.com> wrote:
... While I am getting up to speed with Obj-C I would like to be able to
include Perl routines within projects...
So long as you understand that this isn't usually a productive thing to do. It
may be a good idea as a stopgap to fill in parts you don't know how to do with
Cocoa/Objective-C yet, but it's not a direction you'll want to stay on. (There
was a project, CamelBones...

Thank you both Fritz and Wim for your very helpful replies. I’m sure I’ll be able to sort things out now.

I am interested in your comment that “this isn't usually a productive thing to do”, because I very soon have to decide whether to devote all my time to getting to grips with ObjC or continue dreaming that I can do most of the work in Perl. Coming to the verbosity and clumsiness of ObjC after the simplicity, power and conciseness of Perl is, for me, a horrible shock. ObjC makes even AppleScript look succinct! and, watching the 2011 WWDC video that introduces the new @literals, and hearing all the whoops and applause as the most elementary new things were unveiled and it was announced that a dictionary object could now finally be built in something approaching the sane way it would be done in ancient languages like Perl, I sat with my mouth hanging open in disbelief. What planet do these people live on?, I thought.

From what I’ve seen so far, it looks as if I shall need to write twenty or thirty times as much ugly code in ObjC as I would need to write to build the same application in Perl. Nevertheless I accept that that is only one aspect of productivity and would like to hear what the downside is.

JD