I'd strongly recommend against using Apple's Help Book application. There are a
few problems with Apple Help:

Problems with Help Books
====================

First of all, they are poorly documented. It is extremely difficult to
structure them in the right way. You can't use HTML5, you have to use some
special XHTML doctype. It took me weeks to find the right tags / anchors and
all the implicit requirements to get it working.

Once you get them working, they might fail mysteriously. Sometimes Help Viewer
won't find your Help Book. Sometimes it will take 30 seconds or longer until
the Help Book is displayed, without any sensible feedback to the user.
Sometimes old versions of your Help Book will be displayed.

Searching Help Books is slow. Again, no feedback, so your users will think
there are no results, when in reality Help Viewer is still indexing your help
book.

Additionally, the erratic behaviour seemed to change with every major version
of OS X.

Finally, when I contacted Apple Developer Technical Support, they told me that
they don't offer support for Help Books.

Alternatives
=========

The solution I went with was to use a simple web view that displays normal HTML
pages. A plain window with three toolbar items: back / forward / index.
Additionally, I provide the documentation for the latest version on my website.

The HTML in the app and on the website is slightly different, I use PHP to
generate the HTML.

A more modern approach would probably be to use a static site generator like
Jekyll, which would allow you to use templates, write in Markdown, etc.

Best wishes,
Jakob