Wow! That¹s quite an indictment of one of Apple, Inc¹s supposed developer
tools. You¹d think that with $190B cash, they could fix this. One of the
problems I ran into is that I couldn¹t find the indexing tool without going
back to old versions.  When I tried to use it, it choked, spewing a litany
of error messages.  So much for that (and using contextual help anchors).

I did take a stab at using the $39 (30-day free trial) HelpSupreme app.
Aside from a few bugs, anomalies, and irritations, it worked, but I didn¹t
care for the format. (That might be fixable in their CSS files.)
Unfortunately, it has no provision for external links, movie files, or
anchors.

I then tried the $150 (limited free trial) SimpleHelpEditor. It¹s a lot more
capable, but complex, and you end up having to write all the HTML yourself
anyway, so why bother?

One thing I found out is that if your root file is not index.html, you¹d
better make sure your help file identifier does not have any spaces in it.

I¹m considering just going back to my original (successful) approach and
doing it all in BBEdit, for lack of finding any superior approach.