As somebody who did a lot of development work on early versions of Simple Help
Editor, I’d like to point out a misstatement. It does not require one to write
their own HTML. It does a quite capable job of translating styled text into
HTML, but does offer the ability to handle custom HTML for things like tables,
that don’t translate easily as styled text. I would agree that it can be a
complex application if you want to get beyond the basics.