On May 7, 2014, at 6:53 AM, Bill Cheeseman <wjcheese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, the only comprehensive explanation of the "new" post-Snow
> Leopard version of Help Books is Chapter 11 of my book, Cocoa Recipes for Mac
> OS X, Second Edition (Peachpit Press 2010).

I used Cheeseman’s book, and it did help a lot.

Still, getting all the variables set in both the app’s and the HelpBook’s
.plist files set up right can be a pain. One minor mistake and nothing seems to
work.

Also, the Help document is cached somewhere, so when I make a change,
recompile, and test the new Help, the old cached version is typically loaded
(not the new one). I’ve forgotten how to get rid of that cached HelpBook
gracefully. I often just logout and log back in to reset it.

Another challenge is making sure there are no syntax errors in your HTML. With
just the tiniest error, hiutil will stop indexing it, and by default, it will
stop quietly. Make sure you use the “-v” option to flag anything.

Here are the steps I follow to index my system (at least for English). Watch
the output of the first two hiutil commands carefully because (at least for me)
this is where I find many of my mistakes.

$ hiutil -Cavf /tmp/MyHelp.helpindex English.lproj
$ hiutil -Fvf /tmp/MyHelp.helpindex
$ cd English.lproj
$ cp /tmp/MyHelp.helpindex .

Todd