> To add to this.
>
> Oracle 9i now has a native XMLType which is really a CLOB.
> However, it
> doesn't have the normal limitations of a CLOB -- you can use
> XPATH for
> selection and for indexing, a great improvement in my
> opinion. However, a
> drawback remains in that you are still unable to select
> individual nodes and
> attributes within the CLOB, so your SQL has to return the
> document as a
> whole.

I disagree.
XMLType is a abstraction of how the XML is "really" stored.
XMLType is (by default) CLOB. And XPath are real XPath expressions applied
on that CLOB.

But if you use schema-based storage, you can have your XML internally stored
into SQL tables. And XPath queries are rewritten (yes yes!) into
corresponding
SQL equivalent.