OK the actual XML that is going into the failing XSL is as follows:

<user>
  <detail>
    <name>tomplace</name>
    <password>tom</password>
    <first>tom</first>
    <last>place</last>
  </detail>
  <existing-user>
    <rowset />
  </existing-user>
</user>

The fact that the existing user rowset is empty is a good thing (if it
wasn't empty then something else happens that works!

The xsl that fails is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:sql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/2.0";>

<xsl:template match="user">

  <page>
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="existing-user/sql:rowset/sql:row">
        <title>Blah</title>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
          <execute-query xmlns="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/2.0";>
          <query>
             insert into user_info (USERNAME) values (<xsl:value-of
select="detail/name"/>)
          </query>
          </execute-query>

        <title>Blah 2</title>