Jeff,

an interesting question and one that we have discussed before with Stefano.
Here are a few reasons I can come up with:

* Cocoon is strong on multi-channel publishing - especially useful for
application scenarios in the mobile market. There are a lot of differences
between these markets in Europe and the US. However the US will eventually
catch up - so watch for Cocoon to become stronger there.

* There are a lot of corporate mergers happening in Europe - and so an
integration platform is needed. Another of Cocoon's strong points.

* Cocoon is a European driven project. It was started by an Italian and most
of the developers are European.

* There are a lot of European companies using Cocoon - which in turn feeds
back into the project.

* The visibility of Cocoon is high in European publications and events
(magazines, conferences). This again feeds back into the project.

* There is a strong movement on Open Source in European governments and
related institutions

* Open Source is becoming a theme for large corporations in Europe. When we
started our humble open source group 2 1/2 years ago - no-one was
interested. Now the story is very different.

Just my thoughts.

Matthew

--
Open Source Group       Cocoon { Consulting, Training, Projects }
Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.s-und-n.de