I'm just North of you in BC and I'm using Cocoon on my project.

I'm sure there are others, but the 2 biggest things I've seen is the lack of diverse clients locally. By that I mean the really poor telephony networks across NA compared to other areas means I rarely see or build stuff for local clients that isn't focused on IE as the primary client. For customers that businesses abroad, you get more diversity in the devices used and a greater need to support them.
The other thing that I've seen is that many in the Java community focus only on JSP frameworks and extensions to them, as opposed to alternate standards such as XForms (for example).

Cheers,
Thor HW