Jeff Ramsdale dijo:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just curious about something. I've been reading the Cocoon-users
> list for a couple of weeks or so and I see a lot of folks in Europe (and
> Australia--Jeff T!) interested in Cocoon. I'm sure it's not a matter of
> Americans (& Canadians?) not being interested, I'm sure. (Oh, & Antonio,
> I don't want to leave you out!) Right?

I know that, thanks to include me in this philosophical thread.! ;-)

When I started working with Cocoon, I noted that the almost people working
here is from Europe. But to be true I never asked my self about this
inetereting question.

First of all, I think I can speak a little about the 2 worlds. I am from
Nicaragua (from the ones that dont know where is it - my country is the
center of America. Check a map a you will see I am right) ;-)

As a Latinoamerican I had the opportunity to studies my university at
Technical University at Kosice, Slovakia (Please, this is not the old
Yugoslavia, there is Slovenia. Slovakia is from the old Czecholvoakia -
the land of the most beautiful women ;-).

In slovakia I spend 7 years of my life:

1- Learning slovak language
5- Univerity
1- Working for a company called Novitech.

After that my roots called me back to my country, where I am living now.

There in Slovakia, I have contact with the European Mind. Of course in my
country I have always contact with the American Mind.

I think there is really a diference of mind between Americans and
Europeans. You can note it inmediately. Of course I will not talk about
that because this is not the main topic of the thread. I just write it to
tell that there is a diference in many aspects.

I think that Matthew is right. When posted:

> * Cocoon is strong on multi-channel publishing - especially useful for
> application scenarios in the mobile market. There are a lot of differences
> between these markets in Europe and the US. However the US will eventually
> catch up - so watch for Cocoon to become stronger there.

- I can add that believe it or not GSM comes here at the end of 2002. Of
course we used mobile phones since 90-ties but that was CDMA - the
American technology. As a European formed professional I tasted the GSM in
Europe and I always thinked that GSM is better than CDMA. Then here was
not the market that Matthew pointed. Currently with the intro of GSM here
started to talk about "lastest" technology and WML, WAP, etc. I hope this
market will grow in the next years.

> * There are a lot of corporate mergers happening in Europe - and so an
> integration platform is needed. Another of Cocoon's strong points.

- I agree, here this is a unipolar world, even if there are merges or not.
Always is Microsoft. I think this is because of the strong marketing
campaigns that MS do in this part of the world. In my country there is
only a handfull people using technology out of MS. Here the missconception
about all MS is the best is very strong between people. But I fell that
this will change in the next because of the high Licences and the
currently economics problems around the world. Just remember that MS made
many contracs with people at Universities around the world to make sure
new IT professionals will be good trained in the MS way.

I selled my 1st Cocoon project and when customer asked me about the cost
of implementation (Licences of OS, Database, etc.) He does not believe
that the cost will be near zero. And asked me a second time because he was
concerned about legal issues. :-)

> * Cocoon is a European driven project. It was started by an Italian
> and most of the developers are European.

Sorry, I dont agree partially here. There are many other people working
here. Internet breaks the frontiers. Linux was a European driven project,
but now is worldwide. Maybe this reason is only circunstantial right now.
I hope Cocoon will become a worldwide driven project. Maybe here we can
rewrite it:

"Cocoon is a European borned project".

> * The visibility of Cocoon is high in European publications and events
> (magazines, conferences). This again feeds back into the project.

-dont know. I have no acces to printed publications, since BYTE
(http://www.byte.com) stop sending magazines and I had payed a 2 years
subscription! I never pay a subscription again. And in Internet I dont see
from where is the website.

> * There is a strong movement on Open Source in European governments and
> related institutions

Yes, but remember that this movement is wordwide now. The movement on
every country is leaded by diferent people that has his own point of view.
For example: I was mailing with the Argentina's movement and there they
does not like Java because it is not "open source" in the correct sense.
Maybe they are too purist in this things. They prefer perl, python and
similars.

Please, I dont want to start a battle about what language is the best of
the best. I just pointed that because for this movement Cocoon is not part
of the most important things about the movement. They are most concerned
about the use of Linux as platform in goverments.

I thinked about this, then Java lose power. Why? Simple: "I dont need a
multi OS language or a slow Virtual Machine. I will use only one
plataform: Linux."

But, from my point of view: I choosed Java mainly to let people choose
between Linux and Windows. I always try to setup Linux servers, but if the
people is hardcoded about MS, then I can install the same application on
Windows too. I think this part of the power that Cocoon give us. As
consultor I recommend my clients, but always the final word is from him.

> * Open Source is becoming a theme for large corporations in Europe. When
> we started our humble open source group 2 1/2 years ago - no-one was
> interested. Now the story is very different.

I think this is worldwide too. Just see the Linuxworld expo in NY.

By the way, writting this mail I was starting think about the pure concept
of the Apache Licence, maybe there is where we need to find the answer.
Some people dont like it.

I think the Apache model is somewhere between propietary and truly
OpenSource Licences.

And maybe the people leading the Open Sources movements are more
fundamentalist: "They dont like things 'between', they are truly Open
Source".

I hope this will be usefull too. ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.