I think the point here is that you cant remove the specific ban in X based
on mask, without removing any other ban set in X which masks that ban ...

On the old X you could, with this version of X you can often easily remove
other bans that you might want to leave behind eg:

*!~[EMAIL PROTECTED]

would be removed if someone set - and then removed - *!~*@*

With the old X, you could unban just the *!~*@* listing, eg remove that ban
from X, without the other existing bans being touched.

or to put it another way, someone banning and then removing the ban for
*!*@* *in X* would cause ALL bans listed in X (at or below the users access
level) to be removed. Shouldnt be the case.