Jakarta is having trouble redefining what is truly stands for. I had hoped
that in Jakarta-Commons we knew. However, since its specifically different
to what is in the charter, I guess we should decide. And then update the
charter. http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

>From the websites:
'small scale, reusable, code components that are useful in multiple Jakarta
subprojects'

'focused on all aspects of reusable Java components'

'creating and maintaining reusable Java components'

'collaboration and sharing, where developers from throughout the Jakarta
community can work together on projects to be shared by the Jakarta projects
and Jakarta users'

There are other practical ways to define it. Each J-C component has
insufficient community on its own to survive at Apache, either as an
independent TLP or within another TLP. Yet within J-C the component is
supported and watched over. For example, one way to view this is by mailing
lists. If each commons component had its own mailing list, then most would
be very quiet. Not enough to stand alone.

My preferred short definition of J-C is:
'creating and maintaining small-scale, reusable, utility components written
in Java'

Is this definition OK? Any comments?
Stephen