"Stephen Colebourne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Jakarta is having trouble redefining what is truly stands for. I had hoped
> that in Jakarta-Commons we knew. However, since its specifically different
> to what is in the charter, I guess we should decide. And then update the
> charter. http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html
>
> From the websites:
> 'small scale, reusable, code components that are useful in multiple
Jakarta
> subprojects'
>
> 'focused on all aspects of reusable Java components'
>
> 'creating and maintaining reusable Java components'
>
> 'collaboration and sharing, where developers from throughout the Jakarta
> community can work together on projects to be shared by the Jakarta
projects
> and Jakarta users'
>

> There are other practical ways to define it. Each J-C component has
> insufficient community on its own to survive at Apache, either as an
> independent TLP or within another TLP. Yet within J-C the component is
> supported and watched over. For example, one way to view this is by
mailing
> lists. If each commons component had its own mailing list, then most would
> be very quiet. Not enough to stand alone.
>
> My preferred short definition of J-C is:
> 'creating and maintaining small-scale, reusable, utility components
written
> in Java'
>
> Is this definition OK? Any comments?

This pretty much boots Daemon out of J-C, which would be IMHO would be a
shame.  Almost of the (supported) code in Daemon is written in C (basically,
JNI wrappers to solve OS level restrictions on Java code), so it wouldn't
fit the definition.  However, it is most definitely Java-centric, so I'd be
happiest if it stayed in Jakarta.

I'm only a developer for Daemon, so I don't get to vote on its future.  And
if it is booted out to A-C, then I'll follow it there.  But I think that
it's best fit is with Jakarta.