Here's my basis for the exponential, chi-squared, and gamma distribution design
(forgive me for reiterating some points made by others):

Exponential is separate because both the CDF and inverse CDF have closed form
computations.  This provides better performance and higher accuracy than the iterative
method approximation.

Both exponential and chi-squared are separate from gamma to provide access only to the
parameters specific to each distribution.

In chi-squared case, extension could have easily been use but this would have exposed
the alpha and beta properties in chi-squared.  This would allow users to modify the
properties in an uncontrolled fashion, possibly resulting in a disfunctional
distribution.  Thus, encapsulation was used to hide the gamma properties and only
expose the relavent chi-squared properties.