From: Brent Worden [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 10/13/2004 2:08 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [math] Questions regarding probability distributions

        Here's my basis for the exponential, chi-squared, and gamma distribution
design (forgive me for reiterating some points made by others):

        Exponential is separate because both the CDF and inverse CDF have closed form
computations.  This provides better performance and higher accuracy than the iterative
method approximation.

        Both exponential and chi-squared are separate from gamma to provide access
only to the parameters specific to each distribution.

        In chi-squared case, extension could have easily been use but this would have
exposed the alpha and beta properties in chi-squared.  This would allow users to
modify the properties in an uncontrolled fashion, possibly resulting in a
disfunctional distribution.  Thus, encapsulation was used to hide the gamma properties
and only expose the relavent chi-squared properties.