Andy Lewis wrote:

I do understand about the native code issue. There are simply a limited number of ways to do certain things though. And I believe even in the to do list where this is mentioned it specifies that in any case, the native code should be completely optional. I could also do a fall back to other methods if the native code isn't present - like command lines tools for example. If I can get something working, that would probably be the best time to check and see what the community thinks...say, before it is committed.

I know the original authors of VFS added this to the todo list, but i am not sure how we should add this to VFS.
VFS tries to abstract as much as it can from the underlaying filesystem - but this might be nearly impossible in the case of permissions - think about unix/windows differences in handling of these things.
And even then, it might work only with one kind of filesystem - the local filesystem.

That said, i can think about a utility-helper-class which do this stuff - e.g. UnixUtils.setPermission(FileObject, permission)
That way it is not strongly coupled with vfs and we do not have to find a common abstraction.
It would be nice if you could take a look at jsch and sshd. jsch defines a SftpAttrs.setPermissions(int) - maybe your "permission" argument could be compatible with it - then the utility wrapper could set the permission on two filesystems ;-)

What do you think?

---
Mario