Andy Lewis schrieb:

I ran into a problem for example with the cache not picking up new files on an FTP site, so I needed to manually force the cache to clear (I use reflection with setAccessible to get it done instead of using a modified build though).

Do you use the CVS version or one of the nightlies?
It should be possible to clear the cache (in case of ftp) by simply call close() on the parent.

I can also see value in additional providers - both those on the list and maybe some that are not. Again, my time constraints tend to align with my current needs , but as an example I have an upcoming need for the ability to modify unix file permissions from Java (appears it will require native interaction), and noticed this is something on the list of desired eventual features.

This is on the todo list - this list where created by the original maintainers. But I have to warn you ;-) I would like to poll the community what they do think about native code in jakarta projects.

In terms of immeidate contributions, I'd love to get a patch in to make it easier to avoid the cache problems, and I'm willing to take a look at anything (bug ot feature) that is deemed highest priority.

The right way to send the path it to open a bugzilla tiket at http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Commons
I will be happy to pick it up. Please prefix your subject with [vfs]

The effort I'll be able to spend on it wil;l, like nearly everyone I'm sure, fluctuate, but it is a cool project, I use it, and I'm interested in helping it move forward....

Thats the way we work. Every help is welcome.

---
Mario