I can see one reason for not deprecating stuff in a point release. If someone is really concerned about deprecation warnings, I would imagine that they could set up their build system to fail if there are deprecation warnings. A point release should be a drop in replacement. So if you add deprecations to a point release it could, in this scenario, possibly fail someone's build if they upgrade commons-io from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2.

Henri Yandell wrote:
Sorry for being slow on this one.

I'm with Jochen and Joerg in not getting why deprecation would
indicate a minor release and not be allowed in a bugfix release. Sure
it sucks that a new class is immediately being deprecated, but better
to get such things out there now rather than waiting.

Hen