So what happened to the idea of providing an overlay to "download" the
original file?
I also heard that you guys pondered the idea of linking the ZoomViewer [1]
from the MV, but ultimately decided against it. From what I heard the UIX
implications of navigating to a "different site" put you off. Any details
on that decision?

[1]
http://tools.wmflabs.org/zoomviewer/index.php?f=Schmettau_Plan_de_la_Ville_de_Berlin_1750.jpg

    and