On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Andrew Gray <andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
> I would agree that accessing the image description page/original image
> really needs to be more obvious than the buried "Commons" link (which
> is virtually invisible to anyone who doesn't know our site
> iconography).
>
> We've been telling people for years that if you keep clicking on the
> image file you'll get to our master copy in the end, so clicking on
> the expanded image seems a natural way to do it :-)
Fully agree with that.

Matters are worse for non-image media - under many circumstances,
there is no way to click through from an embedded audio or video file
on Wikipedia to the description page on Commons.

As an example, try getting to the description page of the video at
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Artist%27s_impression&oldid=605424798
.
For me (under OSX), this works fine (via the Menu button) under Chrome
but that button is simply not there under Firefox or Safari.

Examples for audio would be the May 20 entry at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons:Open_Access_File_of_the_Day&oldid=124628188
or the file behind the "listen" link at the top of
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Natalya_Gorbanevskaya&oldid=593135738
.

I think bugs for some of the above scenarios have been filed long ago
but can't find them right know. Anyway, GLAMs and other providers of
openly licensed media are really picky about such things (and rightly
so, in most cases).

So while I would very much welcome simpler click-through for images, I
think it is even more important to get any click-through path to work
for non-image media in cases like those outlined above.

Cheers,

Daniel