Just to mention a very special case: page images into wikisource proofread
extension, coming from djvu files as standard resolution jpg (so adding two
levels of compression with related issues) .

Well, when djvu file comes from Internet Archive, it's possible ane
relatively easy to get the URL of  individual, original, full-resolution
jpg or jp2 from IA item, then replacing the url of standard image with the
url of IA image into the proofread page by javascript.I used a draft tool
to do this as a test into a difficult proofreading, and it turns out
effective, fast and useful.

Alex brollo