There has been a lot of discussion about the addition of
mirrors.playboy.com/apache to the mirrors list.  Some of
the objections are related to moral issues.  The line
for barring mirrors appears to be different for everyone.
Some draw the line at spammers and Indiana Jones' arch-foes,
but not at Playboy.  At the very least, I believe some of
the strong objections are rooted in the desire for Apache
not to appear to endorse the business activities of the
entities hosting its mirrors.  I have noticed there is no
disclaimer on the mirror download pages or mirrors list
that disassociates Apache from the mirrors themselves.  Therefore,
I propose that we add a disclaimer, whose exact wording is to
be determined by the board, expressing that the presence of a
mirror on the download pages and mirrors list is not to be construed
as an endorsement of the organization hosting the mirror.  Something
along the lines of:
  Disclaimer:  The presence of a mirror on this list does not
  constitute an endorsement by the Apache Software Foundation
  of the organization's business or other activities.  The
  Apache Software Foundation lists all mirror sites that
  request to be listed and meet the criteria specified at:
  http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html

If that's done, then all further refinements of the mirroring
policy need only be added to http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html.
I have no suggestions regarding what further refinements should
be, but believe the addition of a disclaimer will satisfy the
concern expressed by some that Apache may appear to be condoning
the activities of the owner of a mirror.

daniel