Board
> has been fairly closely monitoring the project for more than two
years.
> Nor should it have come as a surprise to the person whose identity
should
> have been protected, since he has been made aware of concerns often
and
> privately.

I much prefer that such discussions are open, clear, and unambiguous.  I
can assure you that my reputation is not at stake here.  What is at
stake is a new community with great ambitions, passion, and a
determination to make it happen, here, at Apache, where our history is.

<snip/>

> The new work is excellent, and there is a small community of
developers
> who are devoted to it, but in terms of cost to the community, don't
> disregard the facts.  Following their muse, they co-opted the project;
> determined that the one important piece of the consensus was a unified
> platform, without regard for the rest of the consensus; and actively
> and openly spoke of both developer AND USER attrition as a means for
> as a means for achieving the goal.  It got to the point where the bulk
> of committers walked out, although some eventually came back to form
> the core of the Excalibur project.  So when I see a comment that "all
of
> the active committers" are committed to one platform, I almost have
> to laugh.

So laugh and have fun.  Sure - we talked openly about developer and user
attrition.  Was that bad?  Was it better to stay fragment and unable to
really and properly work with other projects as a single community?  Yes
- attrition comes at a price.  Any regrets - sure.  Would I do it again
given the same circumstances?  Probably - yes.  Would the outcome be the
same? No.  You pick up experience along the way and you figure out those
things you'd handle differently the next time.

Cheers, Steve.