On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 September 2004 23:18, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
> > In any case, this does not answer the question as to how the lack of a
> > top level project for Metro would damage a commercial user.
>
> IMHO,
> 1. Metro doesn't belong any more in Avalon than Cocoon belongs in Tomcat.
> 2. The described 'worst-case' scenario, makes me not inclined to take Merlin
> away from the ASF.
>
> from that follows a set of options,
> a. A TLP.
> b. The Incubator.
> c. Another project/federation.
>
> a. is what we have opted for as the most preferred scenario from our
> perspective.
> b. is in the group considered a "death sentence". Be that an overstatement,
> some users are indicating it to be a signal of the negative kind.
> c. we are unable to see that the technology fits naturally within any other
> project, but I am all ears if there is an opinion towards this.

The incubator should not be considered a "death sentence".  It is only
such for projects which will die anyway.  The death of an incubated
project is less negative for PR, etc. than the death of a TLP.

The incubator defines a process for a new project to get approval to
become a TLP.  If you believe Metro will be a successful project, moving
it quickly through the incubator should not be difficult.

--
Dave Brondsema : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.brondsema.net : personal