On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:23 -0700, "Marvin Humphrey"
<mar...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 02:40:31PM -0700, Keith Curtis wrote:
> > I recommend separating things out into using free software versus
> > writing free software.
>
> They're intimately tied, aren't they?
>
> One of the great freedoms of open source software is the ability to
> modify it
> -- whether that means a sysadmin hacking a broken installer until it
> works, a
> developer monkey-patching a Ruby module, or what have you.  If you could
> read
> OSS but not modify it, it would be a lot less powerful.  Using OSS
> becomes
> writing OSS almost right away.

I think you overestimate the majority of developers. The bar to usage is
downloading a resource, which is relatively easy. The bar to
modification is at minimum downloading the source and building it, which
is effort enough. Getting your changes accepted involves identifying the
relevant community and engaging with it. This is something that many
developers will neither find easy, nor feel inclined to do. I would say
those that *are* inclined to contribute back are the exception.

Upayavira