On 3/22/2011 4:48 AM, Keith Curtis wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:23 -0700, "Marvin Humphrey"
>
>     <mar...@rectangular.com <mailto:mar...@rectangular.com>> wrote:
>     > On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 02:40:31PM -0700, Keith Curtis wrote:
>     > > I recommend separating things out into using free software versus
>     > > writing free software.
>     >
>     > They're intimately tied, aren't they?
>
> Not necessarily. The point I'm getting at is that some people aren't even
> ready to take
> the step away from Windows, ASP.Net and towards LAMP. So I think that at
> least a preamble
> of a corporate policy ought to discuss why to depend on free software for the
> dependencies. It seems like an important building block on the way to making
> the case of
> why to write free software.

This conversation seems to be moving sideways into nonsense.  Open Source and
LAMP have nothing to do with each other.  There are a million ways to consume
open source without touching a LAMP stack (some people even use apps... I mean,
applications, which are neither 1. web based nor 2. mobile based.  /shudder)

Yes LAMP is one deployment model, so is WAMP, so is WIMP, so is...

Keep to the message of what open source does for productivity, and don't start
worrying whether the reader has a Java or C# or erlang shop.  If this really
is a LAMP discussion, I'd suggest looking to a LAMP focused community for some
feedback, rather than ASF-wide community.  (And if it's a Java focused article
you are trying to write, I think you are on the right list for a really diverse
set of input.)