On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:41:03PM -0500, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> "the policies", hmmm.  Those would be 'your policies'.  Which may or may not
> be what Marvin is attempting to compose.  Your form of evangelism could be
> counterproductive to the audience who Marvin is addressing.

I'm grateful to Keith for advocating that usage should be covered by the
policy.  The high-level organization of the draft has been modified
accordingly.

This Policy document will stand on its own regardless of the intentions of
those who participate in its drafting.  Nevertheless, a primary motivation of
mine is to increase business usage and sponsorship of open source software.  I
believe that's a win all around -- for businesses, for the ASF, for the
software industry at large, and for individual contributors.

In my opinion, it's important that the Policy make only one major distinction:
between open source software and proprietary software.

As a practical matter, advocating for particular technologies seems likely to
alienate people at companies who have invested in competing technologies.
Ideally, we would like this Policy to be as influential as possible, and to be
adopted as widely as possible; anything that limits its audience is
detrimental.  Even advocating for particular licenses seems likely to to be a
net negative.

There is a place for such evangelism.  I believe, as I imagine many others
here do, that it is in the interest of businesses to invest in liberally
licensed open source such as ASF projects as opposed to copyleft projects.
But this document shouldn't be a vehicle for those opinions.

It seems to me that a technology-agnostic, license-agnostic policy which
establishes rules equally applicable to all open source projects properly
reflects the values and traditions of the ASF as a "universal donor".  This
Open Source Policy should fit comfortably into a wide variety of contexts,
just like our software.

Marvin Humphrey