On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 06:01:51PM -0500, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> Keep in mind, that even open source and proprietary software often
> intersect. If the document wants to evangelize an 'all open' solution, so
> be it,

I don't think it's desirable to advocate for "all open", as it would
potentially limit adoption.  It's not necessary, either.  Contribute a little,
contribute a lot, this Policy will simply help your organization to interact
with open source projects in an orderly and safe manner.

> this is your document :)

"I'll challenge that one."[1] :)  It's already a collaborative effort which
has been shaped by numerous authors and has taken on a form I did not
anticipate.

> But there are spaces where open source can supplement closed sources (think
> plug ins, extensions etc), or where closed projects might supplement open
> source development (think various code analysis utilities).

I don't think there's anything in the Policy itself.  I made a change to one
of the draft FAQ entries in response to your feedback, though.  It is now
explicitly agnostic about open source vs. proprietary solutions:

 http://wiki.apache.org/general/OpenSourcePolicy?action=diff&rev2=3&rev1=2

Marvin Humphrey

[1] h/t: Henri :)