On 3/29/2011 5:52 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> In my opinion, it's important that the Policy make only one major distinction:
> between open source software and proprietary software.
>
> As a practical matter, advocating for particular technologies seems likely to
> alienate people at companies who have invested in competing technologies.
> Ideally, we would like this Policy to be as influential as possible, and to be
> adopted as widely as possible; anything that limits its audience is
> detrimental.  Even advocating for particular licenses seems likely to to be a
> net negative.

Keep in mind, that even open source and proprietary software often intersect.
If the document wants to evangelize an 'all open' solution, so be it, this is
your document :)  But there are spaces where open source can supplement closed
sources (think plug ins, extensions etc), or where closed projects might
supplement open source development (think various code analysis utilities).

Any document which helps increase the use of and contributions back towards
open source by the corporate world will be a useful addition to the existing
publications, so thanks for making this effort :)

Bill