David Fotland wrote:

>Most of the world plays be Japanese rules, so any commercial program
>must implement Japanese rules.

I totally agree.

>A strong chinese player using chinese rules will pick up a point or two
>during the dame filling stage when playing a strong japanese player. The
>Chiense player will choose earlier moves that gain a later dame point that
>the japanese player will think have no benefit over other moves.

That's interesting. And it confirms my point: the difference is small,
the strategy is the same, but using the ruleset in one's own benefit
some extra points can be won. In either direction. Not more than that.

And now remember how this discussion started: There was a proposal
to penalize pass moves made by Lukasz Lew.

If that proposal is implemented, Japanese programs will no longer
loose one or two points against a better ruleset adapted bot, but
they would loose dozens of points. They will frequently loose won
games. Maybe some programs can easily switch from Chinese to
Japanese, but some others may not. Anyway, outside computer go,
people understands go as Japanese. Beginners find it more complicated,
but when they understand, they see its just concentrating on the only
interesting part. A natural evolution of the game. When they are 10kyu
or better they normally agree what is alive and what is not. If they
don't, its probably worth playing out.

I still think Chinese rules are better today for computer tournaments!
But, of course, without penalizing pass moves. I hope that the day when
computers evolve to Japanese rules as humans did, is near, but that
cannot be forced. It is required that all programs agree when scoring
games. At least: *when* nothing more can be won and what is *alive*
and what is not at that moment.

When that happens, the credibility of computer-go will increase a lot.

Jacques.