On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 23:10 -0400, Don Dailey wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 23:01 -0400, Don Dailey wrote:
> >
> >   cgos_player color name
> > example:  cgos_player white Lazarus
> >
> >   cgos_elo  color elo_rating
> > example:  cgos_elo white 1739?
> >
> > and since cgos does use kyu/dan, I don't want to specify
> > a command at this time, but if I do it would likely be:
> >
> >    cgos_rank  color rank

> Also, I forgot that I want to be able to specify the cgos
> game number,  so I would also add this command:
>
>     cgos_gameid  some_integer

Instead of polluting the namespace with a lot of domain-specific
set/get commands, you could wrap them all into one 'umbrella' command,
eg 'info'

cgos-info opponent_name Aunt Maud
cgos-info opponent_rank 10k
cgos-info game_date 20070304132355
cgos-info game_name [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cgos-info pressure 1013hPa

This naming for games is similar to what SMTP does with email,
and will allow you to run multiple instances of the server.

> It is likely there will be more than 1 instance of the
> CGOS server (perhaps 1 for different board sizes) but I
> hesitate to try to distiguish between them with more GTP
> commands.   So I would leave it up to the program authors
> to keep track of which server a game Id belongs to.
>
> It's of course possible to send this all in one uber
> command:
>
>   cgos_game_info gameID white_name white_elo black_name black_elo
>
> but it does not seem to be in the spirit of GTP.

According to the GTP-draft, you are supposed to use hyphens, not
underscores to prefix your private extensions. (I don't like them
either, would have preferred periods or semicolons.)

HTH,
AvK