On 11, Aug 2008, at 7:23 PM, Don Dailey wrote:

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 09:55 +0900, Darren Cook wrote:
My first impression of watching the game was that Leela was handicapped
by having a handicap. By that I mean it would have seen itself so far
ahead for the first few moves that is was playing arbitrarily.

I was blasted for making that observation many months ago concerning the possibility of handicap matches on CGOS. I thought it not a good idea for Monte Carlo players because each player starting with a dead won or
dead lost game.   The response was that it didn't matter, the programs
would still fight.

I wonder if this was part of the beginning move selection of Mogo in the
games against Mr Kim. Can anyone on that team check their logs and respond?

It could turn out that the best strategy is simply to let the opponent
play desperately and not over-react, because to have any chance when
giving 9 stones you must in some sense over-play it.

This exact point was made in the post game analysis by Mr Kim. He explained that he expected about 1 dan replies to his approach in the lower right, and thus played to live in the corner and have an extension across the bottom. An observer said "Oh, so you made an overplay." Mr Kim replied "I have to overplay (against 9 stones)." He later showed how he would have played it had he expected mogo to find what he called 4 or 5 dan moves. He also said that he was impressed with Mogo's ability to avoid overreacting, that it could not
be provoked like a human once it was ahead.

Mr Kim also said that from his perspective his opponent in the last 2 games felt completely different than in the first 2 games. The difference, of course, was the additional search time. In the 2nd game mogo played the first half
thinking it had 10 minutes, even though the KGS clock was set to 15, and
mid-game the operator realized the mistake, took it offline and fixed the clock before reconnecting. But it was too late, so Mr Kim, other than being
confused by the opponent abandoning and reappearing, did not get much
chance to see the difference in play.

Cheers,
David