On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 11:50 +0900, Darren Cook wrote:
> > Also, if you are down 8 or 9 stones, maximizing your winning chances is
> > still the right strategy, right?
>
> With MCTS algorithms the error margin is high at the start of the game,
> and low in the endgame. In a handicap game against a stronger opponent
> the assumption is that the weaker player will make more mistakes (i.e.
> has a higher error margin overall). But MCTS programs don't see it that
> way - their opponent model is the same strength as they are. So they
> choose a move that gives them 95% (+/- 20%) win (against themselves)
> instead of the better move that they only gives them a 90% (+/- 20%) win
> (against themselves). (I.e. I'm saying their error margin in the opening
> is much greater than the difference in their estimate of move values.)

There could be something to that.

Do you believe that they will play the 90% move if they are told they
are not really down 9 stones?

I did a bunch of experiments and ALWAYS got a reduced wins when I faked
the komi.   But there are a million ways to do this and I may not have
stumbled on the right way.

- Don