>I don't disagree.
>But given the penetration that IE already has often
>determines by default what a developer does.

Depends on the psychological profile of the developer. A daily drudge for
whom it is all just a job will probably code for Win IE and do as little
as possible to be hospitable to other browsers. Somebody who is excited
by Web technology and loves to keep up with the cutting edge will be
coding to the W3C standard and then using one of the patch libraries to
"fix" IE or adding code to dumb down the page to work with IE.
Dreamweaver even has several IE work-arounds available from its menus.
Personally, I don't think we should allow MS to dumb down the Web.

In our trainig classes we stress the stuff that works well in all current
browsers. We only occasionally show stuff the does not work in IE. When
we teach a non-IE feature we caution students to use it to enhance a page
that already works in IE. So the msssing function will just be a nice
enhancement, not a critical function.