These are probably laptops still made with the s-l-o-o-o-w 4200 RPM hard
drives.  Stuff all the RAM you can in one of these laptops, it'll still be
slow.

I wouldn't get anything less than a 5400 RPM drive, but would try for the
7200 RPM drive.  I've put 7200's in 6 year old P III laptops and effectively
doubled their performance, if not more.  Not rockets compared to what you
can get today, but for less than $100, it's the best upgrade you can do to a
laptop, bang for the buck performance-wise.