That is partially it.  Also by using lower rated CPU's.

Very often the Discount laptop you see advertised is the bottom end processor of the bunch.

I have an old Inspiron 1150 that had a 2.6 Ghz processor in it. Top end was 2.8 plus a variety of Celerons. (This was before they started using the M processor which used again a separate numbering system)

And yes they can cycle back the processing speed for power consumption. Some of this can be tweaked in your power consumption section.

Like I said I have AMD (dual core) laptops right now and am quite pleased with them. I find they out perform the Intel laptops.

Stewart