Valid points. But email comes from the cloud anyway, so it's tough to
argue that one. I mean, why delete an important email from the cloud?
Then you're relying on your own backup methods to preserve it.

Also, today's cloud _does_ offer multiple locations and backups. Which
systems were you having so much trouble with? How long ago? Don't you
think they've improved things at all?

No. Things are bigger. There's more choices, but ultimately as an individual who has to rely on others to provide access to the Internet, I can't trust it to be there when I need it. I can download email on the fly. I can tether a cell phone when there's no broadband. However, those of us who are self-employed or with small companies can't rely on the broadband service that's available in the US to be there whenever we need it, because it isn't, and when it is it's too expensive and/or too slow.

Yes, email comes from the so-called "cloud", but it doesn't rely on continuous connection for download. Using programs online does, and it's still not reliable enough to count on being there whenever it's needed. I'll have my software local, thank you. I'll use online software when it's there, and when it's not there, I'm disconnected, but not lost.

Is the online software free? Does it require a subscription? I own licenses to what I need, and prefer to avoid subscriptions. Where's the ever-present affordable broadband? Not here. I do store data remotely, but can't get to it whenever I need it, so must plan ahead for access.