I've worked with many people like that. Surprising thing is that they're mostly libertarian types who shudder at the thought of having union membership and protection. Even a professional association to negotiate contracts is an anathema. Most don't even have contracts.

They're their own worst enemies.

  I was at the library yesterday afternoon.  While I was there, I read
an article in an issue of "Wired" that discussed the cubicle-type
workplaces where so many work in the field of computer programing and
coding.  The article was dealing with the fact that many of the
workers who toil in these places find themselves mired in a
environment that reeks of constant fear of job loss.  With outsourcing
looming over their heads on a daily basis, or with thoughts of workers
being imported from abroad, millions of those who are employed in the
various fields of work that revolve around programming and coding will
do almost anything to keep their jobs. ...Basically, we have something akin to
a form of virtual slavery.
These workplaces have no organizations, unions or groups who will
speak up for those who work there.  Each worker is on his or her own
to have to deal with the multiple layers of supervisors and management
if they feel they are being treated unfairly.  The article pointed out
that giving up free time, working all those extra hours, not taking
vacations, etc., rarely does anything to actually help the employees
retain their jobs.  Usually, if a worker is going to be replaced by
another because it will be advantageous to the employer to do so, it
is going to happen anyway...