Now let me get this straight. You are saying that employers should screw as much work out of their employees as they possibly can, regardless of labor laws, custom, the health of their workers, human decency, and the employers' long-term best interests and enlightened self-interest? And if the employees don't roll over and play dead, and put up with any crap the employers want to dish out, they're lazy bums who think the world owes them a living?

That's a recipe for the kind of in-effect slavery similar in kind, if not in degree, to what we used to see in coal country. (Remember "I owe my soul to the company store? That's based on real life conditions. I grew up in West Virginia, and we remember those things.) It's also a recipe for labor unrest and class warfare. In W. Va., for example, aggrieved workers made quite a lot of use of dynamite--pretty destructive, but very small potatoes to the damage an aggrieved computer programmer can do, depending on where he is placed and how angry he gets.

And as for the Gulag--when I was a kid, I wanted to be a Kremlinologist. I know a lot more about that system than the average person today. I don't think we need to have a situation be 100% as bad as the original Gulag archipelago before we deplore it and do something about it.

--Constance